1) Write a good book. (Promotion can only go so far.)
2) Seek reviews. (Do this as soon as possible. Several months response time is not unheard of.)
(You can ask friends and family to do a review, but they may not do it very quickly either)
3) Get a website. (On a website you can let people get to know you as well as introducing your book.)
(You can offer a description of your book as well as a picture.)
(Add links to your website. That will potentially add more traffic.)
4) Join organizations: (Reading groups are good. They will help you to promote your book. I think it is)
(essential though that you also participate as a reader.)
The following is a list of a few groups you might want to check out:
4. There are others. Check the internet.
5) join facebook. (add a page to promote your book.)
6) Join Amazon author central if you have a book on Amazon.
7) Join Book Daily.
8) Join askdave.com
9) Check out other websites that might over good tips. One that I think is great is: www.jakonrath.com